This website and its content is owned and operated by the Merce Cunningham Trust (the “Trust”). Copyright the Merce Cunningham Trust, 2012. All company names, graphics, logos, trademarks, service marks or other designations of origin appearing on this website are the property of the Trust, its affiliates, or other respective owners.
Ownership and Permitted Use. By using this website, you acknowledge that the material provided on this website is the property of the Trust or its licensors and is protected by U.S. and worldwide copyright laws and treaties. The contents of this website are for you or your organization’s personal internal and/or educational use only. The texts, graphics, designs, photographs, video and audio content contained in this website may not be reproduced, downloaded or modified in any form (including by using a video “grabber”) without the express written permission of the Trust or, if another copyright holder is identified on any such materials, such other copyright holder.
Permission is granted for you to make limited copies of materials contained in our website as necessary solely for informational and non-commercial use within your organization and to disseminate such copies within your organization; provided that you keep intact all copyright, trademark, and other proprietary notices, including watermarks.
Disclaimer. Your use of our website is at your own risk. All information published by the Trust on this website is provided “AS IS” WITHOUT ANY GUARANTEES OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY THAT THE SITE IS OR WILL BE MERCHANTABLE, OF SATISFACTORY QUALITY, ACCURATE, TIMELY, FIT FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NEED, OR NON-INFRINGING. WE DO NOT GUARANTEE THAT THIS SITE OR ITS CONTENTS WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, IS ACCURATE, ERROR-FREE, RELIABLE, OR WILL OPERATE WITHOUT INTERRUPTION.
Links to other websites. The Trust may provide hyperlinks or pointers to other websites maintained by third parties. The links to any such third party websites are provided for your convenience and information only. The content in any linked website is not under our control and if you decide to access any such website, you do so entirely at your own risk. The fact that we provide a link to a third party website does not mean that we endorse, authorize or sponsor any such website or that we are affiliated with such third party. Mention of non-Trust products or services is for information purposes only and constitutes neither an endorsement nor a recommendation.
Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). We are under no obligation to, and do not, scan content used in connection with the website for the inclusion of illegal or impermissible content. However, we respect the copyright interests of others. It is our policy to remove materials known by us to infringe another party’s copyright from the website.
If you believe any materials on the website infringe your own or another person’s copyright, you may submit a notification pursuant to the DMCA by providing us with written notice that at a minimum contains:
- (i) A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
- (ii) Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online website are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that website;
- (iii) Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit us to locate the material;
- (iv) Information reasonably sufficient to permit us to contact the complaining party, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail address at which the complaining party may be contacted;
- (v) A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
- (vi) A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
- All DMCA notices should be sent to our designated agent as follows:
- The Merce Cunningham Trust
130 W. 56th Street, Suite 708
New York, NY 10019
Attn: Lynn Wichern, Executive Director
ChoreographyMerce Cunningham MusicTakehisa Kosugi DécorRei Kawakubo First Performance DateOctober 14, 1997 First Performance VenueBrooklyn Academy of Music, Brooklyn, NY
Dance Capsule In honor of
Katherine D. R. and James Hayes
Scenario was the creation of Cunningham and Comme des Garcons designer Rei Kawakubo. Kawakubo’s humorous costumes toy with the idea of physical distortions, such as humps and big rear ends. They are in mostly vertical blue stripes on white, or in pale green and white-checkered patterns. For much of the dance, five or six dancers twist and pose, each in his or her own space, with a rush of additional dancers to the stage toward the end of the performance. The bold electronic musical score is by Takehisa Kosugi. ― David Vaughan